Sunday, June 19, 2011

Latrine project continues

We have reached the downhill slope with regards to the latrine project. We only have about 3 composters and 7 pit latrines to go. It has been a professionally and physically challenging time for me, but it has been the most rewarding part of my service so far watching men transform from not wanting to pick up tools they didn't know the name for, to being able to carry out most of the construction by themselves. And after spending so much time working so closely, my relationship with the workers has become much closer. Work days are filled with jokes, laughs, and openly expressed anxieties about what they will do with themselves when I leave. I feel happy about what they have been able to accomplish and learn throughout the process about initiative, responsibility, and the realities of executing a project like this. Here are some photos of what we´ve been up to.


















3 comments:

  1. You should be proud! And so should they! They have learned a lot from you, but you have learned a lot from them - your friends (and sometimes family.)I am impressed that you both show appreciation for each other's efforts, even if you don't completely understand each other's backgrounds. Gotta love the "Cati" carved into the cement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I see the beginnings of a "CE" carved into that cement under your name and date? Guess whose name I first thought... LUUURVE LET THEM TOUCH THOSE THINGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, this is so amazing! Wonderful, Cati. You should be so proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete