Sunday, February 21, 2010

Escojo Mi Vida

Just arrived at an Internet cafe in Panama City after facilitating a four-day personal development and sexual health seminar at the Lions Club facility here. Every volunteer in the country had the opportunity to nominate two kids from their community to an all-expenses-paid seminar. For many kids, this was their first time out of their province and certainly the only time they´ve gone anywhere without a family member.

I invited two kids from my community. It wasn´t easy getting them here; I had to talk their parents through the seminar many, many times and go over the intinerary until I was blue in the face. But who can blame them? A gringa wants to send their child to a personal development and sexual health seminar? In Panama City? What in the world is sexual health? Despite my enthusiastic explanations, I am still battling the will-this-gringa-kidnap-my-child stigma, and had to lay on the charm even more thickly than usual to convince them this was a good thing.

But anyway, it all worked out in the end, and I had an absolute blast facilitating sessions on everything from establishing goals, identifying goals, problem-solving, pregnancy, HIV/AIDS and STIs, to the obligatory condom demonstrations.

I´ve written here before about the pena many Panamanians and especially indigenous people have here in Panama. Almost everything embarasses them, and they are not used to talking frankly about anything. Knowing this, I was expecting a lot of uncomfortable, silent kids who were wondering what these crazy gringos were going on about.

Amazingly, it was the exact opposite. Thanks to some great planning on the part of the PC Gender and Development (GAD) team which puts on the event, all the PC volunteers were straightforward about everything from the beginning. I think this helped ease the embarassment tremendously, and we mixed up with lots of dinamicas, games, skits and competitions to keep things rowdy and fun.

There were group presentaitons on the main topics, and then two facilitators worked with groups of eight or nine kids one-on-one. I was amazed how mature everyone acted and how willing they were to ask questions. I doubt I would have responded as well to all of this information when I was 13 or 14 years old, and you know? I still struggled when two of the girls in my group asked with no pena what oral sex was.

Oh, every day here in Panama presents its own challenge.

But this seminar has been one of my favorite experiences as a PCV here, and I can´t wait to bring some of the charlas back to QP. Now that two of my kids have attended, I plan to drag them into co-facilitating.

Now I am off to reunite with everyone from my training group for a week of in-service training. After spending nearly four months in site, we know better what is needed and can attend whichever sessions are most important. And in every free moment, gab about everything that´s happened since we last saw each other. We´ll all have a lot to say.

4 comments:

  1. What did your kids think of the big city? Am assuming they had hot showers, good food and TV. I can just imagine their reactions. Pikkies? Sounds like you and the other PCVs hit the mark. Good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I read your blog I am astounded by your life. Miss you!

    PS seriously how did you get them to trust you with their kids after you threatened to break all their bones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mumsy: Hot showers? Don´t get ahead of yourself. This is Panama. And TV? No. We played games with them ALL NIGHT LONG. Good food... absolutely. But serious lack of boiled bananas.

    Meaghen: 1) Different kids 2) Have you met me? I am a charmer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. props to giving the panamaniacs some good sexual education. we don't even really do a good job of that here in the states!

    ReplyDelete