Thursday, January 7, 2010

My house is a very, very fine house.

Most volunteers build their own homes with the help of community members. It is a great way to bond with the people you´ll need to be working with, plus, how cool is it to say you built your own house? Throughout training and early on during my time in-site, I thought that´s what I would be doing too.

But eventually I decided to rent, and I think it was certainly the better decision. First, if I were to build a house, I would build it very close to where the rented house would be. I would have to worry about getting all the supplies, installing water, possibly building a tap stand and bathing area (or else bathe in the river for two years... ick), and spend a whole heap of my own money. Peace Corps doesn´t really give us money to build our own houses, and volunteers inevitabily end up withdrawing lots from their accounts at home. We only receive a $300 ¨settling-in allowance,¨ presumabily to buy things like a mattress, pots and pans, a gas tank, range top, etc. My friend who is building his own house nearby estimates he will spend $1,300, including everything, and that is with some generous donations from his community in terms of wood, labor and supplies. Living with host families is difficult, so I wanted to be able to move in as soon as I was allowed. The family who owns the rented house has another, and doesn´t spend much time in this one, so I was able to keep stuff there when I moved to another host family, and start buying things poco a poco and keep them there until I move in for good. Renting was the better option.

The house I will be living in is close to the road, so I hear a lot of trucks and buses whizzing by, which is not exactly what I pictured when I imagine my Peace Corps life. But the proximity does make things convenient when I want to bring supplies back or catch the first bus out early in the morning. I also have neighbors whose proximity can be a good thing, but also feels a bit too much, with visitors constantly coming by, and my neighbor Seña being able to look from her cooking area and see onto the porch. I am hoping one day the novelty of staring at me and visiting constantly will wear off. In the mean time, I will keep the porch gate locked, and start turning away over-eager visitors.

I joke with my friends that the house is something of a Ngobe mansion. It is definitely nicer than all of the houses around it, and is even painted, which is a rarity in these communities. The bottom floor (yes there are two floors... another rarity) is a fenced-in porch with a concrete floor, the kitchen, an outdoor sink and a bathroom area with a toilet and an indoor shower. I live in a community where only a handful of houses have latines and my house has an indoor-flush toilet. Kind of ritzy. The upstairs floor has four rooms. I am sequestered in one small one due to nighttime rat visitors in the larger bedroom in which I had hoped to sleep.
(Note: Rat tips? They eat the bait from my rat trap and leave. Their is rat poop on my food shelf, and until I boxed everything up, they were munching through soup and coffee packets, crackers, anything. Rats are disgusting disease carriers and I would like them to go.)

Here is the front of the house.
Here is where I shall make my culinary masterpieces:

Here is a room upstairs, where I will read/study/hide from children:


So yeah, the house, if you can call it fancy is a lot nicer than all of the other houses in the community, which makes me feel a little more visible and slightly awkward, because no one can believe that I´ll be only one person living in such a big house. Parents have offered their children to ¨accompoñar¨me in the nights. Check my photo album for more photos of the house and a bunch of other stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Loved the photos! Hard to pick the cutest kid, but my vote is for the little cutie holding the photo album. Your self-portrait is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics! I'd like to personally thank my dear Joanne for having you take a picture of yourself. You look great boo! Also, I hope you wrote down the lyrics for the Ode to Cati song. I would love to sing a rendition to you, Celine-style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emeril would like to come down and show you how to utilize your cocina to it's fullest extent...Shall we send him? He might frighten the young ones. Too many bams! He might place his extra pans on the heads of the young ones.

    Oh, and Calyn, thank you but the girl did it without my pestering. For once.

    ReplyDelete