Saturday, August 21, 2010

The value of a book

One of the greatest parts of Peace Corps is the open-endedness, and the fact that we can work on any side project we see fit. A few months ago, I approached my school´s principal about creating a library for the students. I have never seen a story book in anyone´s house, and until this year, the student´s weren´t even allowed to bring their textbooks home after school. Panamanian education is still on the rote memorization mode. Children copy from the board, fill in blanks, and have little chance to be creative. Because of this, and a lack of resources, many kids read below-level. The school allocates its small funds to the bare necessities, and the children come from poor families who make big enough financial sacrifices geting their children to class each day.

Kids haven´t had the chance to love to read.

I am asking for your help, to make a small donation to my project with the International Book Project. They collect donated books, and ask us to raise only the cost of shipping. If I raise $200, a 35-pound box of Spanish-language books will be sent and we can start the library. The principal has promised me a space in a spare room and her support to keep the library going after I´m gone. When the books arrive, I will organize a work day with parents to prepare the room, and set up a schedule for book lending.

You all know me personally and know that reading is a big part of who I am, and a huge part of my Peace Corps service. I´ve started reading stories to kids in my neighborhood with some books I´ve bought, and their interest is genuine and lasting.

¨But Cati, how can Peter Pan fly? Can we fly?¨

No one´s read to them before, and most of them have never seen story books. The potential value of the library is obvious.

If 20 people make a 10-dollar donation, I´ll meet my goal. Here is how you can donate:

You may donate by sending a check to:

International Book Project
1440 Delaware Avenue

Lexington
, KY 40505.


You may also donate online via credit card by going to www.internationalbookproject.org and clicking on the “Donate” banner at the top of the page.
Please indicate in the memo of the check or the notes section of the online giving screen that the donation is made on behalf of
Catherine Basham, Peace Corps Volunteer. All donations are tax deductible.

Thank you to everyone who donates. I´ll be sure to send pictures when the books arrive.


3 comments:

  1. i'll be in for 25 dollars. kids need more book learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. No hay plata, Cati! Just kidding I'll send a check, just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count Donny, Marie, and me in for $20 a piece, boo. I forwarded them this info and we'll do it online. This is such a great idea and we can't wait to see the pics!!

    ReplyDelete